Since I don’t have a severe visual impairment (I wear eyeglasses) or severe hearing impairment, I didn’t experience any extensive difficulties with the sites. However, I was annoyed because so many of the sites use Captcha in their log-in procedures. That’s enough to make me avoid them.
I found Flikr, Facebook, delicious, LibraryThing, Libworm, the RSS feed aggregators and the podcast aggregators to be informative projects, and will explore them further and continue to use them.
The project also prompted me to start this blog; I will probably keep it, although I may integrate it with a website so that any content I post will be accessible to people with visual and hearing impairments.
It’s disconcerting to learn that while so many of the sites we explored could easily be accessible to people with disabilities, thought wasn’t given to making the sites accessible from the start.
While I consider the project to have been worthwhile, I hope that future efforts will include a component explaining the concepts of accessibility for people with disabilities.
I like Google Docs. I had used it previously, and it was easy enough to learn. Actually setting up each of the different types of documents was easy enough as well. At first, I wasn’t paying close enough attention and when sharing didn’t notice the difference between sending to edit – showed up as sending to a collaborator, and sending to view – showed up as sending to a viewer. Another slightly confusing element was that forms were viewed under a spreadsheet heading. I also learned that the document box had to be checked in order to move that item to a folder.
One of the most appealing features is being able to have access to Windows Office type document creation tools from any computer, which can then be sent to your e-mail address for retrieval at your home computer.
I will add the Google Docs Blog (http://googledocs.blogspot.com/ ) to my RSS feeds.
Web2Access evaluated only the word processor (http://www.web2access.org.uk/product/147). Ratings were 67% for those with blindness/severe visual impairments, those with partial vision/visual acuity, and those with hearing impairments. Google Docs was rated as fairly accessible with some weaknesses, and deficiencies varied according to the application used. The log-in used Captcha, which weakened the ratings, and it was also noted that it was necessary to know keyboard shortcuts for the best accessibility.
My first search on LibWorm was for the term DAISy – digital accessible information system. I received few hits on the subject but did discover an interesting blog – TeleRead: Bring the E-Books Home (http://www.teleread.org/). It covers new developments in the world of digital books in general, such as the Kindle and other e-book readers.
Another search on bookmobiles, brought up numerous references.
I am glad to be introduced to this site, and will add it to my RSS feeds.
At present, Web2Access doesn’t review LibWorm, but if that changes, I will post an update.
Published July 24, 2009
libraries , RSS feed
Adding RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds to Google Reader seemed quite easy, and I added all the feeds that were suggested on the North Texas 23 – Thing 7 page (http://northtexas23.blogspot.com/2009/05/thing-7-rss-feeds.html). I’ll give them a try and see which ones I keep.
I had previously received an “Unshelved” digest by e-mail. I’ll test and see if the RSS feed has advantages.